How many people are infected with HPV?
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV) is a very common virus.1, 2
- 8 out of 10 adults will come into contact with HPV.9
- Cervical cancer is the number 1 ranked cancer in women aged 15 to 44 in Southern Africa and 4 248 women die from cervical cancer each year in South Africa.1
- That means in South Africa more than 11 women die a day due to cervical cancer. Cervical cancer being only 1 of several diseases caused by HPV.1
- No-one can predict who will be infected with HPV in the future, who will clear the infection and who will succumb to HPV disease.8